December 23rd – On the 21st local time, two suspects in the Essex truck tragedy in the United Kingdom were convicted of manslaughter, which resulted in the death of 39 Vietnamese.
Essex police have released a set of sad photos as the trial of the people involved is nearing completion.
Photos show that 39 victims were desperately surviving before suffocating, using metal rods and other items to knock on the interior of the container, leaving multiple deep holes and scratches.
According to the British Mirror on the 22nd, before the death, Vietnamese immigrants in the container hit the interior of the container with metal poles in order to breathe air. The photos show that both the side and the top of the box have left deep holes and scratches.
British media said that this was evidence that the victims were “efforts to escape from nightmares”.
However, despite all the best efforts to escape, all those trapped in it end up suffocating to death, and there is no way to escape from this dark and hot container.
Emergency workers found that most of the victims were stripped naked and desperately tried to cool down, while the carbon dioxide concentration in the box reached fatal levels.
The court previously said that when Vietnamese immigrants trapped in containers realized that they were going to suffocate, they had called or left messages to their families and emergency rescue agencies in despair.
A man recorded a message for his wife, children and mother, saying: “I’m sorry I can’t take care of you. I’m sorry. I can’t breathe. I want to go back to my family. Wish you happiness. In another recording, a male voice said, “I can’t breathe anymore. I’m sorry. I’m leaving now.”
In the background of the recording, another voice said “He’s dead”. After the police opened the container, they found that a couple died hand in the piles of bodies.
On October 23, 2019, British police found the bodies of 39 people in a container truck in an industrial park in Essex, southeastern England. Essex County Police subsequently issued a statement saying that 39 victims were Vietnamese.