April 16 The current U.S. federal government is still collecting and seizing land along the U.S.-Mexico border to continue building the wall, U.S. media revealed.
The U.S. federal government confiscated six acres of land in Hidalgo County, Texas, as part of a lawsuit filed by the previous U.S. administration during the construction of the wall, the Capitol Hill newspaper reported Friday, citing Politico. People affected by the case were disappointed with the federal government, criticizing the administration for “clearly not keeping its word.”
The administration has denounced the previous administration’s hardline immigration policies, including the construction of a border wall between the United States and Mexico. Since taking office, the White House has also recently ended funding for the wall. However, at the time of the Government’s inauguration, the review of government resources entering the project had been postponed and was scheduled to be completed on 20 March.
The U.S. Department of Justice said it would not close the case because the government’s previous immigration policy review had not yet been completed. In another high-profile case last month, the Justice Department also said the White House statement “opens the door to the possibility of a resumption of certain aspects of the program” and that “the Secretary of Homeland Security has not yet clarified the future of the border wall project.”