December 14th, due to the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic in Japan, the situation is not optimistic. Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said at the government’s response headquarters that from December 28 to January 11 next year, the “go to travel” domestic travel subsidy plan will be suspended nationwide.
According to Yoshihide Suga Yiwei, about 50 million people have participated since the implementation of the travel stimulus plan.
Before the implementation of the subsidy project, the proportion of hotels or hostels in Japan was only about 20% of last year, and gradually recovered to about 70% through the travel subsidy program, which played a huge role in supporting the local economy.
Japan’s Minister of Land and Transport, Akawa, said on the evening of the 14th that if tourists cancel their travel reservations during this period, the state will compensate for the cancellation of the consumption.
Yoshihide Suga said that the current situation is that the number of infected people across Japan shows a strong growth trend.
Judging from various indicators, the infection is spreading everywhere, especially including medical institutions, and front-line medical staff are under great pressure.
In order to reduce the burden on medical institutions and avoid the spread of COVID-19, the travel subsidy scheme will be suspended during the designated period around the New Year holiday.