May 7 2021 The U.S. military has sent additional heavy bombers and fighter jets to protect U.S. and allied forces from Afghanistan, the Central News Agency reported. So far, U.S. and allied forces have not come under direct attack.
Mark Milly, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said six B-52 long-range bombers and 12 F-18 fighter jets had been ordered to provide emergency support to secure the troop evacuation.
Milly said that while the Taliban carry out 80 to 120 attacks a day on Afghan government targets, “there have been no attacks on U.S. and coalition forces” since the May 1 withdrawal.
“The evacuation is on schedule,” Defense Secretary Austin said. ”
Austin and Milly stressed that while the U.S. continues to work closely with Afghan security forces, relations will adjust with the withdrawal.
There are widespread concerns that the Taliban may threaten the afghan government’s authority if U.S. troops leave. In response, Mr Milley said Afghan forces should not be considered useless.
“The Afghan National Security Forces and the Afghan government are still united,” he said. ”
Mr. Milly said the Pentagon is considering continuing to support Afghan government forces after completing the withdrawal, including training Afghan security forces in another country. In addition, Congress will be urged to authorize continued financial assistance to the Afghan army.
Austin said he hopes Afghan security forces will play an important role in stopping the Taliban.
The war in Afghanistan began on October 7, 2001, when U.S. forces toppled the Taliban at the end of the year, and in May 2011, U.S. forces killed Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.
On December 31, 2014, Obama announced that the U.S. military would begin to withdraw gradually after the end of major U.S. operations in Afghanistan, and in February 2020, the then-Trump administration signed an agreement with the Taliban announcing that all U.S. troops would be withdrawn by May 1, 2021. However, the withdrawal was later extended; in April 2021, when the new U.S. President Joe Biden took office, he announced that U.S. troops would leave Afghanistan by September 11 of that year.