The Health Bureau of Windsor-Essex County, Ontario, the largest populous province in Canada, announced on the 10th local time that all public and church-owned primary and secondary schools in the jurisdiction will stop classroom teaching and teach online from next Monday, December 14.
The statement said that this decision was made because of the recent sharp increase in confirmed cases of COVID-19. There have been two schools in this area with a coronavirus outbreak.
It is understood that 114 schools and 56,200 students were affected. However, full-time kindergartens are not included.
Since the holiday entered after December 18, this notice actually advanced the winter vacation by one week. The notice said that the opening time after the holiday will be notified separately.
Previously, other provinces had announced that primary and secondary schools in some areas would stop classroom teaching.
Ontario added 1983 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on that day, with a total of 134,783 confirmed cases. 3,871 deaths. 829 patients were hospitalized due to the diagnosis of COVID-19, of which 228 were in intensive care, and 132 needed ventilators.