May 8 2021 A 59-year-old Australian man died on Friday after contracting the coronavirus in India.
In an open letter to Australian Prime Minister Morrison, his daughter said she was angry at the Australian government’s actions and said his father had been “abandoned.”
“I am writing to you with a lot of anger,” the victim’s daughter, Sonalie Lal, said in an open letter posted on social media on Monday, according to News.com.au.
I am an Australian citizen and today I am very disappointed to be an Australian citizen. Which country will abandon its citizens? It’s a miracle for the whole world. ”
Three days before Lal’s father’s death, the Australian government issued a ban on all persons who had been in India in the past 14 days, and Australian citizens were no exception.
Reported that Lahr had contacted officials at the Australian Embassy in India a few weeks ago, hoping to get his parents back home. “It is with great sadness and pain that I tell you that my father has left us,” Lahr said in a recent social media post. Now I’m left with my mother, who is now being abandoned by the Australian government. I hope my mother will be picked up as soon as possible. ”
Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Maris Payne said assistance was being provided to the family, but they could not confirm the circumstances of the death. Mr Morrison did not comment on the matter.
On May 7th, local time, Morrison confirmed that the travel ban, which had been temporarily imposed in response to India’s coronavirus outbreak, would be lifted as planned on May 15th and would not be renewed.
About 9,000 Australians trapped in India are now looking forward to returning to Australia, some of them at higher risk of infection, as the new outbreak in India is not effectively controlled.