April 16 Aden news: Yemen’s unity government official said on the 16th, government forces and Houthi forces in the central province of Marib fierce fighting continues, in the past two days at least 34 government soldiers and 48 Houthi militants were killed in the exchange of fire.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Houthi forces had launched an offensive against government-held areas in Malibu in the past two days, while government forces, backed by air support from the Saudi-led multinational coalition, had fought back against the Houthis.
Houthi-run Masila TV reported on the 16th that warplanes of the multinational coalition continued to bomb the group’s military base in Marib province for the past two days, but did not disclose the specific number of casualties.
Marib province is Yemen’s main oil-producing region and home to the multinational coalition command. Since January, Houthi forces and Yemeni government forces have exchanged heavy fighting in the province, killing nearly a thousand people and displacing thousands of families.
The escalation of fighting in Yemen in recent weeks has caused widespread concern among the international community. 15( UPI) — U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths called on Yemen’s warring parties to implement a full-territory cease-fire and pay more sincerity to the peace process.
In September 2014, Yemeni Houthi forces seized the capital Sanaa and then southern Yemen. In March 2015, Saudi Arabia and other countries launched a military operation code-named “Decisive Storm” against Houthi forces.
In December 2018, the Yemeni government and Houthi forces, brokered by the United Nations, agreed on a cease-fire, prisoner exchange and other issues, but the two sides soon accused each other of breaking the cease-fire.
In December 2020, the Government of Yemen formed a coalition government with the Transitional Council for the South. So far, much of southern Yemen has been nominally unified.