In an interview, Afghan Taliban spokesman Suhail Shahin said the U.S. government does not need to extend the military occupation of Afghanistan, Sky News reported Wednesday. Mr Shaheen warned that Mr Biden had previously declared a “red line” for the US to complete its withdrawal from Afghanistan by August 31 and that if the US or UK sought extra time to continue the withdrawal, the answer was no and the delay would have “consequences”. Mr Shahin said delaying the withdrawal would create mistrust between the two sides and provoke a “response”
As the date for British, American and NATO troops to leave Afghanistan approaches, Mr Shaheen said all had suffered a lot of bloodshed and destruction when asked what the Taliban would say about those who died helping Afghanistan and their families. “The past is over, it’s part of the past, and now we want to focus on the future,” he said.