Reuters reported on February 21 that a German police spokesman said that a former Nazi concentration camp guard who had lived in the United States for more than 60 years had returned to Germany on Saturday local time after being deported by the United States.
According to the report, the 95-year-old man was questioned by local police after arriving at Frankfurt Airport in Germany. He was not arrested.
A U.S. court ruled last year that the man should be deported after prosecutors in the northern German town of Zeller opened an investigation into whether the man was involved in the murder of prisoners in Noingamer concentration camp in 1945.
German prosecutors said that the man had lived in the United States since 1959.
He admitted to guarding prisoners in the Mepen area near the Dutch border for several weeks, but said he had not witnessed any killing or ill-treatment of prisoners.