January 30 Recently, 11 soldiers at Blisburg Base, Texas, were not feeling well during a field training and were then sent to hospital for treatment.
A spokesman for the base confirmed on the 29th that the 11 soldiers drank antifreeze, and they mistaken the deadly substance for alcoholic beverages.
According to the U.S. Star-Spangled Banner and USA Today on the 29th, Payne, the 1st Armoured Division and Blisburg Public Affairs Officer, said that the soldiers were in poor health on the last day of a 10-day exercise.
Initial reports suggest the soldiers mistakenly drank antifreeze as an alcoholic drink.”
What happened on the day that led the soldiers to ingest the substance is currently under investigation,” Payne also mentioned that military personnel were banned from drinking alcohol during training or on duty. These soldiers belong to the 11th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade.
On the afternoon of the 28th, the soldiers fell ill and were taken to the hospital.
More than 24 hours after the incident, two people are still being rescued from the intensive care unit (ICU) due to serious illness, but up to four soldiers are expected to be discharged from the hospital on the evening of the 29th.
The antifreeze, also known as ethylene glycol, is dangerous even if it is ingested in small amounts, said Scully, the hospital’s deputy commander in charge of medical services.
It can immediately lead to kidney failure, and if consumed in large doses, it will lead to organ failure. Other symptoms include nausea, excitement and confusion.
The New York Times pointed out that recently, the Blisburg base has encountered a series of unfortunate events, including several deaths in recent weeks.
Earlier this year, a soldier was found dead in a military camp, just a few months ago.