May 3 2021 Afghan officials said Wednesday that a military post in Farah province in western Afghanistan was attacked by Taliban militants on the same day, killing at least 20 soldiers.
Mohammad Nurzai, deputy chairman of Farah’s provincial council, said Taliban militants carried out a bomb attack on a military post in the early hours of Wednesday, killing at least 20 soldiers and occupying the post.
Farah Governor Mohammad Jahd said the Taliban also attacked a military checkpoint that day, killing six soldiers.
The Taliban have not responded so far.
U.S. and NATO troops officially began withdrawing from Afghanistan on May 1 and are scheduled to do so by September 11. As the withdrawal date approaches, attacks continue in Afghanistan and the security situation deteriorates. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a May 1 tweet that the U.S. and NATO forces had not completed their withdrawal by May 1, in violation of an agreement signed between the U.S. and The Taliban, which will take action against U.S. and NATO forces.