November 16, local time, CNN reported that Trump will issue a formal order this week to further withdraw troops from Afghanistan and Iraq.
According to two senior military officers, the Pentagon has issued an order to the top local commander and plans to withdraw 2,500 troops from Afghanistan and Iraq each by January 15.
Bringing U.S. troops home is the theme of Trump’s presidential campaign this year. Trump tweeted on October 7: “Before Christmas,
we should let all brave soldiers in Afghanistan go home!” There are currently about 4,500 US troops in Afghanistan, which means that Trump is still unable to fulfill his promise to withdraw all US troops from Afghanistan in January next year.
According to people familiar with the situation, the Pentagon’s huge change in the Department of Defense last week was caused by the withdrawal plan.
The former Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and other outgoing defense officials opposed the withdrawal plan. . At present, the Pentagon and the White House have not responded to the CNN report.
But Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller (Christopher Miller) issued a statement last Friday.
Miller first emphasized that the U.S. military must insist on fighting al-Qaeda and terrorist forces, and then said that it is time for American soldiers to return home. Miller said: “This war is not over. “We must defeat Al Qaeda and its associates.
At the same time, we must avoid past strategic mistakes. This battle is too long and we have paid a huge sacrifice. “Miller then said: “All wars must end.
It is time for the American soldiers to go home.
Leave a Reply