January 20th local time, Belgian Prime Minister De Cro said in an interview with the French-speaking national television of Belgium that the federal government is considering banning people from leaving the country for non-essential reasons for the next period of time, mainly for the purpose of the travel plan during the school holiday from February 15 to February 19.
DeKro said that he would first discuss the proposal with the leaders of member states at the EU anti-epidemic video summit held on the 21st, and then put forward a specific plan at the Belgian Consultative Committee on the 22nd, based on the results of the discussions at the EU level.
DeKro also stressed that this is not the practice of closing the internal borders of the EU.
Necessary travel such as cross-border work will not be affected, but it can no longer take the risk of outbound tourism.
Previously, the Belgian government had called on people to stay in China during the 2020 year-end festival, but in the end, 160,000 Belgians still chose to leave the country for the festival.
DeCrore believes that the current epidemic in Belgium is showing a stable trend, but as long as there is a slight sign of deterioration, it may create an uncontrollable situation.