Site icon YCNews

“This is life” The difficult experience of single mothers in the United States under the epidemic

"This is life" The difficult experience of single mothers in the United States under the epidemic

Kleona McBerry (picture source: "Wall Street Journal")

In the past 7 months, Creona McBerry has experienced many difficult moments. Until now, she still worries about every day in the future.

44-year-old Creona McBerry is from Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a single mother of African descent. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal recently, she described the changes in life since the outbreak of the new crown pneumonia epidemic in the United States.

McBerry works as a cleaner at a local youth education center and its affiliated school. Due to the low income, she and her 4 daughters used to live with relatives. On March 2, local time, she and her children had just moved into a newly rented apartment. Unexpectedly, a week later, the epidemic broke out.

On March 9, local time, after three confirmed cases of new coronary pneumonia appeared, Ohio declared a state of emergency. On March 13, local time, the White House declared the United States a national emergency. Since then, Ohio announced the closure of schools.

After the school closed, McBerry’s working hours were reduced and his income almost halved. Her salary could not afford food, rent and the children’s education expenses, and they were almost driven away by the landlord due to arrears of rent.

McBerry had to cut food expenses to pay the rent. She received some free food from the food relief center and passed the most difficult period.

The daycare is closed, and McBerry’s two young daughters can only stay at home. She has to go out to work and can only rely on her eldest daughter to look after her younger sister.

In June, McBerry suspected that he had contracted new coronary pneumonia, but ultimately he was not diagnosed because there was no place for free nucleic acid testing.

Mike Bailey recuperated at home for 3 weeks before gradually recovering. In order to support her family, she worked hard again, working more than 50 hours a week.

” In order to keep my family and me alive, I can only stick to it. This is life. ” McBerry said.

Exit mobile version