Washington, February 12 U.S. Secretary of State Blincoln said on the 12th that he would withdraw the previous U.S. government’s recognition of listing Yemeni Houthis as a terrorist organization on the 16th.
Blinn said in a statement on the same day that the decision of the United States to withdraw the recognition of Houthis as “foreign terrorist organizations” and “special identification of global terrorists” is based on the serious humanitarian situation in Yemen.
He also said that the three leaders of the Houthis are still on the U.S. sanctions list.
The United States maintains a clear understanding of the organization’s “malign behavior”, and will closely follow the actions of the Houthis and their leaders, and identify other sanctions targets.
In his first foreign policy speech after his inauguration on the 4th of this month, U.S. President Biden said that the United States will no longer support Saudi Arabia-led multinational coalition military operations in Yemen, including the suspension of relevant arms sales plans.
The United States previously provided intelligence support for Saudi military operations in Yemen.
On January 10 this year, then-US President Trump’s administration announced its decision to list the Houthis as a “foreign terrorist organization” and “special identification of global terrorists” entities.
Analysts worry that this move will have a negative impact on the international community’s humanitarian relief operation in Yemen and the United Nations-led peace process, further continuing the Yemeni conflict.