U.S. State Department said that Turkish officials claimed that the United States was involved in the attempted coup in Turkey in 2016 was “totally wrong”.
Turkish newspaper Daily News reported that Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu accused the United States of being behind the attempted coup in Turkey in 2016.
He pointed out that the coup d’état on July 15 of that year was arranged by the United States and carried out by the “Gülen Movement” composed of religious figure Fithula Gülen and his supporters.
For this reason, the U.S. State Department denied Suiro’s allegations in a statement, saying that the United States did not participate in the attempted coup in Turkey in 2016, and immediately condemned it.
The statement said: “The recent statement to the contrary by senior Turkish officials is completely wrong.”
The statement also said: “The statements about the United States’ responsibility for the events of Turkey [attempted coup] and other unfounded and irresponsible are contrary to Turkey’s status as an allied with NATO and strategic partner of the United States.”
On July 15, 2016, an attempted coup d’état took place in Turkey.
The Turkish government designated that the coup was launched by the “Gülen Movement” composed of religious figure Fithula Gülen and his supporters.
The subsequent campaign to eliminate the “Gülun Movement” launched by the Turkish government involved the military, the judiciary, education, foreign affairs and other departments.
More than 290,000 people were arrested for being found to be related to the “Gülun movement”, more than 150,000 civil servants and soldiers were suspended or dismissed, hundreds of media were closed, and dozens of opposition parliamentarians were imprisoned.
Curen has lived in the United States since 1999 and denied planning a coup.
Turkey asked the United States to extradite Gülen.
So far, the United States has not agreed to ask Turkey to provide more evidence.