According to a report on the U.S. “military” website on January 2, on the first day of the New Year in 2021, U.S. military forces carried out two air strikes in Somalia.
According to the report, U.S. African Command officials said that the United States carried out two air strikes in Somalia on New Year’s Day on January 1, indicating that the United States continued to support the Somali government in combating Al-Shabaab militants while withdrawing its troops from Somalia.
According to preliminary assessment, the air strikes destroyed two camps of the militants and did not cause civilian casualties.
“This operation clearly demonstrates our continued commitment to our partners in Somalia and the Region,” said Major General Joel Taylor, Director of Operations for the U.S. African Command, in a statement.
We retain the means and will to combat the terrorist organization of Al-Shabaab when necessary.
According to the U.S. Africa Command, the United States carried out at least 51 air strikes in Somalia last year, compared with 63 in 2019 and 47 in 2018.
“It needs to be clear that the United States will not withdraw completely from East Africa, and we remain committed to helping our African partners build a safer future,” said Army General Townsend, the commander of the U.S. Africa Command, in a statement on 19 December.
According to the report, in accordance with the practice of the African Command, they did not specify the models of fighters used in the New Year’s Day air raid.
December 22 last year, the U.S. Africa Command announced that a fleet, including the aircraft carrier Nimitz and the amphibious assault ship Makin Island, had been deployed off the coast of Somalia to cope with the drawdown of U.S. troops in Somalia.