Site icon YCNews

New Zealand Prime Minister: Suspension of high-level dialogue with Myanmar and bans Myanmar leaders from entering the country

New Zealand Prime Minister: Suspension of high-level dialogue with Myanmar and bans Myanmar leaders from entering the country

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

New Zealand Prime Minister Ardern said on February 9 that the country suspended political and military contacts with the Myanmar military at the top level and banned Myanmar military leaders from entering New Zealand.

Ardern said, “The New Zealand government will suspend high-level dialogue with Myanmar and will ensure that New Zealand’s aid funds to Myanmar will not be used by the Tatmadaw.” Ardern said that from 2018 to 2021, New Zealand provided about 42 million New Zealand dollars (about 196 million yuan) to Myanmar.

In addition, New Zealand Foreign Minister Naya Mahouta issued a statement saying that New Zealand does not recognize the legitimacy of the government led by the Myanmar military, and called on the Myanmar military to immediately release all detained political leaders and return power to the democratically elected government of Myanmar.

On February 1, Myanmar President Wen Min and State Senior State Government Daw Aung San Suu Kyi were detained by the military, which said that power had been transferred to Min Aung Lai, the commander-in-chief of the National Defense Forces, and the country imposed a one-year state of emergency.

The military promised that after the end of a year-long state of emergency, Myanmar will re-convene general elections and state power will be transferred to the newly elected political parties.

In response, the Executive Committee of the Myanmar Democratic League issued a statement on February 2, saying that the military’s takeover of power is unconstitutional and ignores the rights of the people, which seriously affects Myanmar’s national transformation, fight against the epidemic and peaceful development.

Recently, large-scale demonstrations have taken place in Yangon and other places in Myanmar.

On February 8, the General Affairs Bureau of the government in Yangon, Mandalay, Dongzhi and other places in Myanmar issued notices to restrict gatherings and curfews.

Exit mobile version