April 14th – On the 14th local time, Tokihiro Nakamura, governor of Ehime Prefecture, Japan, said that in view of the current COVID-19 epidemic, there was no alternative solution to cancel the Olympic torch relay in Matsuyama, the largest city in the county. This is the first time that the torch relay activity has been completely cancelled in Japan.
According to Japan’s Daily News on the 14th, the torch relay in Ehime Prefecture will start on the 21st for two days, the first of which will be held in Matsuyama City, and 27 torchbearers were originally scheduled to participate in the relay. Since the end of March, there have been many COVID-19 clusters in Matsuyama City, and the government has asked people to avoid unnecessary travel. Nakamura said in an interview on the 12th that “after observing the epidemic situation, no obvious signs of easing have been found.”
Since the Tokyo Olympic torch relay began in Fukushima Prefecture on March 25, it has been warmly welcomed everywhere, and the audience in many places has reached a very crowded level, making the epidemic prevention measures previously stipulated by the Tokyo Olympic Organizing Committee in vain.