December 16th that foreign media said that Hatif Rikabi, an adviser to the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Iraqi Parliament, said that the Baghdad government was planning to file an international lawsuit against the United States for violating Iraq’s sovereignty and using internationally prohibited ammunition in civilian areas.
According to the website of Iran News TV on December 14, Rikabi told the Iraqi Malauma News Agency that Iraq will sue in Swedish and German courts for appalling crimes such as the use of depleted uranium bombs committed by Washington in this Arab country.
Rickaby continued that this action will ensure that the United States assumes international responsibility and does not give it the opportunity to delay the case.
He said: “The number of hundreds of new cancer cases reported every month [in Iraq] is a solid proof of the extent of the damage caused by the U.S. military.” He called on the Iraqi Ministry of Health to “publish facts and figures about the casualties caused by the U.S. bombing operation”.
According to the report, the U.S.-led war in Iraq left hundreds of tons of depleted uranium bombs and other toxic waste.
Official statistics of the Iraqi government show that 40 people in Iraq had cancer before the outbreak of the First Gulf War in 1991. By 1995, this number had increased to 800, and by 2005, the number had doubled to at least 1,600. Current estimates indicate that this growth trend continues.
Reports indicate that depleted uranium bombs and other military-related contaminations are suspected to have caused a surge in congenital birth defects, cancers and other diseases in most parts of Iraq.
Many doctors and scientists insist that the recent emergence of previously unknown diseases in Iraq, such as new diseases of the kidneys, lungs and liver, and a complete collapse of the immune system, are related to public exposure to war pollutants.