Site icon YCNews

At least 82 people have been killed in a firefight between Yemeni government forces and Houthi forces

At least 82 people have been killed in a firefight between Yemeni government forces and Houthi forces

Newly recruited Houthi fighters chant slogans as they ride a military vehicle during a gathering in the capital Sanaa to mobilize more fighters to battlefronts to fight pro-government forces in several Yemeni cities, on January 3, 2017. (Photo by Mohammed HUWAIS / AFP)

oct. 5 2021 Sana’a news: Yemeni government forces, an official said on the 5th, the same day, yemeni government forces and houthi forces in yemen’s central marib province, heavy fighting, resulting in at least 82 people on both sides.

the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said houthi forces launched an offensive against government forces about 60 kilometers southwest of marib, the capital of marib province. heavy fighting broke out between the two sides, with government forces repelling houthi forces, killing 74 houthi fighters and killing eight.

marib province is yemen’s main oil-producing region and home to the headquarters of the saudi-led multinational coalition. houthi forces have stepped up their offensive in marib province so far this year and have now seized 10 of the province’s 14 districts, where fighting has left thousands dead and tens of thousands displaced.

in september 2014, houthi forces seized the yemeni capital, sanaa, and then southern yemen. in march 2015, saudi arabia and other countries launched a military operation code-named “decisive storm” against houthi forces. in december 2018, the yemeni government and houthi forces, brokered by the united nations, agreed on a cease-fire, prisoner exchange and other issues, but soon the two sides accused each other of breaking the cease-fire.

Exit mobile version