May 1 2021, Afghan Taliban attacked a military base in the eastern city of Ghazni, capturing dozens of soldiers and killing at least 17 people.
The attack on the military base lasted several hours and killed at least 17 soldiers, VOA reported Tuesday. Acting Defense Minister Zeya, chief of staff of the Afghan National Army, said it did happen, but gave no further details.
Reported that the attack occurred in the United States, NATO began to withdraw troops from Afghanistan on the same day. In February 2020, the then-Trump administration signed an agreement with the Taliban announcing that all U.S. troops would be withdrawn by May 1, 2021.
However, the withdrawal was later extended; in April 2021, when the new U.S. President Joe Biden took office, he announced that U.S. troops would leave Afghanistan by September 11 of that year.
In response, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement that “the deadline reached by the previous agreement to complete the withdrawal by May 1 has passed, and this violation of principle paves the way for the Taliban to take any action against the garrison.” ”
It is reported that the United States has begun to withdraw the last batch of U. S. troops from Afghanistan on the 1st. U.S. officials have previously said the Taliban’s presence in Afghanistan adds to the uncertainty and complexity of the U.S. withdrawal for military officials who arrange the withdrawal.
Officials said the temporary deployment of aircraft carriers, B-52 bombers and Army Rangers was prompted by the possible challenges in the withdrawal process.