Kabul, February 18 Afghan officials said on the 18th that the Afghan military launched an operation on the night of the 17th against Taliban strongholds in the Haktash region of Kunduz province in the north, and rescued 24 people from the stronghold.
Mohammed Omar Haktash, the administrator of the Haktash region, said in a telephone interview with Xinhua News Agency: “There was no conflict in the operation. Before the Afghan military arrived at the stronghold, all Taliban militants had fled.
Among the rescued people were military, police and civilians, who were transferred to a military camp for medical examination and will be reunited with their families on the 18th.”
The Taliban have so far not commented on the operation.